Subscribe to the ISS Blog!Thank you so much for subscribing!
15 Leadership Quotes From Carey Nieuwhoff’s Interview With Joseph Sangl
- January 2, 2013 at 2:15 pm
Carey Nieuwhof, Lead Pastor of Connexus Community Church located just north of Toronto, has just released an incredible new book Leading Change Without Losing It. Effective ministry leaders know that to advance ministry and reach a greater number of people for Christ, you must frequently change some things that you are doing. Ministry leaders also know that with change comes opposition.
Recently, ISS President and CEO Joseph Sangl sat down and spoke with Carey about one important element of leading change – Finding a filter. Carey’s comments are listed below. To order Carey’s book, please clich here or on the image to the right.
- “Have you ever noticed the guys on the platforms (at conferences) are the guys who started churches.”
- “We encountered opposition at almost every moment, anything we wanted to shift.”
- “The people who held power have held it for quite awhile.”
- “I took responsibilities away from people. Consolidated them for a brief season and then redistributed them to a new team.”
- “Without a filter everything sounds compelling. And you need the humility to listen to any voice but the wisdom to listen to the right voices.”
- “Is there a biblical argument in what people are saying?”
- “Their argument (those holding onto the past) tends to be more about preferences rather than principles.”
- “Are these the kind of people that we are going to build the future of the church on?”
- “Usualy the opponents in the church do not have a vision for the future. They only have a vision for the past. They’re stuck.”
- “Your progressive people, your leaders, your early adopters, the people out in the front, those are the people you are going to build the future of the church on. Those are the kind of people who are leading in their lives, who are leading in the marketplace, who may have led other organizations, they tend to be in favor of change, they tend to embrace change.”
- “So many people die to their dreams. And when you die to your dream for the church, you don’t just die to your dream. You die to God’s dream. And He’s got more invested than you do.”
- “You don’t have permission to quit.”
- “You just need a strategy on how to lead when there is opposition.”
- “This is where dreams die. People what to change. They just don’t know how to do it.”
- “The really difficult things are the ones always worth doing.”
It has been a privilege to partner with Carey and Connexus Community Church on their recent capital campaign. Please know that if your has a need to raise significant capital in 2013, we wish to speak with you. Click here and one of our ministry consultants would be honored to start the conversation.